Voices From the Empty Moor seeks to honor the mystery and beauty of Anne Briggs' music while maintaining it's own unique perspective, foregrounding powerful emotion and, hopefully, magical transformation. Bassist, composer and arranger Devin Hoff has been intensively studying the music of Anne Briggs for over a decade. Briggs was a leading light of the 1960"s English folk scene, a gifted songwriter and improvisor, as well as an amateur musicologist who revived traditional English, Scottish, and Irish Traveler songs with an unpretentious approach that perhaps presaged the rebellion of punk as much as it honored tradition. The arrangements here include collaborations with musician friends that share a fascination with mining specific folk forms for universal and timeless truths; singers Julia Holter, Shannon Lay, Sharon Van Etten and Emmett Kelly; oud player Alejandro Farha; saxophonist Howard Wiley and drummer Jim White.
1. She Moved Through the Fair
2. Go Your Way w/ Sharon Van Etten
3. Let No Man Steal Your Thyme w/ Julia Holter
4. Maa Bonny Lad w/ Howard Wiley
5. Living By The Water w/ Shannon Lay
6. The Snow It Melts the Soonest/My Bonny Boy w/ Alejandro Farha
7. Black Waterside w/ Emmett Kelly
8. Willie O’ Winsbury w/ Jim White 04:42 video
9. The Lowlands
Please note that Voices From The Empty Moor (Songs of Anne Briggs) (CD) is currently not in store but is an imported title from an overseas supplier.
Most of the time it takes around 2-3 weeks for the item to arrive here and be sent out but it can take longer if there are any delays.