The Kills have compiled an extraordinary career spanning b-sides and rarities album titled, appropriately, Little Bastards. The songs date back from the band’s first 7-inch singles in 2002 through to 2009. All of the material has been newly remastered for release on 2 x LP, CD & Digital and marks the first ever vinyl pressing for some of these tracks.
The compilation includes the unreleased and never-before-heard demo Raise Me from the 2008-2009 Midnight Boom era. Other highlights include I Call It Art from the Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited covers compilation, the brilliant Midnight Boom digital bonus track Night Train, a blistering performance of Love Is A Deserter from an XFM radio session and a handful of classic American roots songs performed with the kind of bruising delivery they’re famous for: Howlin’ Wolfs’ Forty Four, Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ I Put A Spell on You and Dock Boggs’ Sugar Baby.
First ignited over trans-Atlantic mixtapes shared between two kindred spirits at the turn of the Millennium, the past two decades have seen The Kills master a savage balance, unleashing artful detonation and subtle vocal and guitar violence. That’s five albums and four EPs where Alison Mosshart and Jamie Hince reimagined the possibilities of modern duality - alchemizing garage rock, punk, and blues into smoke clouds, psychic carnage, and a smouldering nocturnal slink into a northwest passage between Outkast and Suicide. Their last album, Ash & Ice (2016), was universally lauded, and their most recent release - a 2018 cover of Saul Williams’ List Of Demands” b/w Peter Tosh’s “Stepping Razor – marked 15 years since their first album as The Kills, 2003’s Keep On Your Mean Side. As performers, their chemistry is unmatched and unfettered; magnetic and enthralling whether drenched in guitar feedback or delivering a piano-led torch song under a single spotlight. The Kills have transcended whatever genres first claimed them and inhabit an entirely unique place in music culture. They are themselves. Inimitable and unparalleled, Little Bastards is a musical refresher manifest as a shot of pure adrenaline. Enjoy the memories. Long may they blaze.
1. Superpowerless / Last Day Of Magic 7” (2008)
2. Passion Is Accurate / Love Is a Deserter CD Single (2005)
3. Kiss Tte Wrong Side / Cheap and Cheerful 7” (2008)
4. Raise Me / Unreleased Demo (2009)
5. Night Train / Midnight Boom Digital Bonus Track (2008)
6. Half of Us / No Wow 7” (2005)
7. London Hates You / Tape Song 7” (2008)
8. I Call It Art / Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited Compilation (2006)
9. Forty Four / Black Balloon 7” (2009)
10. Love Is a Deserter / Recorded for Xfm (2005)
11. The Search for Cherry Red / Pull a U 7” Single (2003)
12. Magazine / Love Is a Deserter 7” (2005)
13. Blue Moon / Future Starts Slow 7” Single (2009)
14. Jewel Thief / Fried My Little Brains 7” Single (2002)
15. Baby’s Eyes / The Good Ones 7” Single (2003)
16. I Put a Spell on You / Screamin’ Jay Hawkins Cover (2009)
17. Run Home Slow / The Good Ones CD Single (2005)
18. Weed Killer / Black Balloon 10” (2009)
19. The Void / No Wow Expanded Edition Cd (2005)
20. Sugar Baby / Fried My Little Brains CD Single (2003)