On An Evening of New York Songs and Stories, Suzanne Vega revisits some of the most iconic songs in her repertoire as well as more hidden gems in a stunning live recording produced by her longtime guitarist Gerry Leonard, mixed by Grammy Award winning engineer Kevin Killen and mastered by Grammy Award winner, Bob Ludwig.
Recorded at New York City’s famed Café Carlyle in early 2019, An Evening of New York Songs and Stories includes both familiar songs like Luka and Tom’s Diner and deep cuts from her catalogue like Frank and Ava and Ludlow Street. The mix of repertoire also features a cover of her late friend Lou Reed’s Walk on the Wild Side.
Of the album, Vega commented, “It is always a pleasure to play at the Café Carlyle in New York City, where this album was recorded. It is a small exclusive club that has hosted legends from Eartha Kitt to Judy Collins, and is also known to be the place where Jackie Kennedy met Audrey Hepburn.”
1. Marlene On The Wall
3. 'So How Many People Are Here From Out Of Town?'
4. New York Is A Woman
5. 'This Next Song Takes Place On 59th Street...'
6. Frank And Eva
7. 'So I Myself Came To New York City When I Was 2 1/2 Years Old'
9. Freeze Tag
10. Pornographer's Dream
11. 'This Next Song Is Called New York Is My Destination'
12. New York Is My Destination
13. 'The First Time I Saw Lou Reed...'
14. Walk On The Wild Side
15. Ludlow Street
17. 'And Now We've Got A Song About Those Times...'
18. Some Journey
19. 'I'm Gonna Close With This Song...'
20. Tom's Diner
21. 'Would You Like Another One?'
24. Thin Man