Samuel Scott & Luke Buda are both known for their band the Phoenix Foundation, 2 solo albums each and - with the Phoenix Foundation - the soundtrack for the movie Eagle vs Shark.
In fact, it was that soundtrack - along with a determination to include their song Bright Grey in the movie, Separation City - that led to the director and producer requesting the inclusion of the Sam & Luke duo.
The movie was an interesting and unique project for Sam & Luke to make music for, as the film drifts between hilarious comedy and something much darker and painfully real. According to Sam, director Paul Middleditch had to reign in some of their more "oblique approach to sound", but in the end it was a great challenge for them as it produced music that doesn't sound like anything they have ever made before. Also, apparently, the help of fellow Phoenix Foundation guitar man Conrad Wedde was required to add a little magic to some of the "love scenes".
Sam says of the other tracks they selected for the movie: "There are a few scenes that called for some NZ roots music kind of stuff and I like the fact it means we've a sound track that pairs up The Black Seeds next to an SJD track, that sort of thing. It's not genre specific but its all contemporary NZ music that we like and somehow fits together. Paul is very into classical music so he chose the NZSO Vaughan Williams piece, which is a hugely important piece of music for the film."
1. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Wedding At Boom Rock
2. The Phoenix Foundation– Bright Grey
3. Mike Fabulous– Blueberry Jam
4. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Nipples
5. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Weekend Dad
6. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Creek
7. Cassette (5)– Say Goodbye
8. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Hotel Hoffenstoffer
9. Wild Bill Ricketts and The Celebration Minstrels– Celebration Minstrels
10. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Men In D7
11. The Black Seeds– Come To Me
12. Sjd– Nite Club
13. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Bye Bye Daddy
14. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Happy In The Trees
15. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Katrien
16. Samuel Flynn Scott, Luke Buda– Potsdam
17. The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra– Fantasia On A Theme Of Thomas Tallis