Having always loved the combination of film and music (aged 17 he gave up a place at film school to pursue a career in music) peter gabriel's first opportunity to really marry these twin interests came when he was asked to create the music for alan parker’s film ‘birdy’ in 1985.
Further film work, including his music for martin scorsese’s ’the last temptation of christ’ (that became the album ‘passion') and the soundtrack to philip noyce’s film ‘rabbit-proof fence’ (released as the album 'long walk home'), has continued to feed that interest. alongside those longer soundtrack commissions peter gabriel has also regularly contributed songs to a diverse range of movies and this compilation explores this other connection forged by peter between his music and film. rated pg is an opportunity to bring together in one place a selection of songs, be they written especially for, or used to notable effect in, movies.
- That’ll do from the film babe 2: pig in the city.
- Down to earth from the film wall-e.
- This is party man. from the film virtuosity.
- The book of love from the film shall we dance?
- Taboo from the film natural born killers, feat. nusrat fateh ali khan.
- Everybird from the film birds like us.
- Walk through the fire from the film against all odds.
- Speak (bol) from the film the reluctant fundamentalist.
- Nocturnal from the film les morsures de l’aube.
- In your eyes from the film say anything.