Flying Nun have announced the release of Three Blind Mice, a compilation from Dunedin band, The Stones due out March 3. Three Blind Mice includes the bands' contribution to the Dunedin Double, tracks from their 1983 EP Another Disc Another Dollar, as well as never heard before live recordings.
Curated by New Zealand noise legend Bruce Russell (The Dead C, Xpressway Records), with liner notes by Shayne Carter (Straightjacket Fits, Bored Games), the compilation also features design and illustrations from Alec Bathgate + Chris Knox and was mastered by Tex Houston (The Clean, 3Ds, Subliminals).
"The Stones were birthed by singer/guitarist Wayne Elsey’s decision to quit Bored Games to start a band that sounded like The Clean. Their debut came on the 25th April 1981 at an Otago University, a gig headlined by Bored Games (Shayne Carter) and new comers The Chills and Verlaine’s (a line up which in retrospect, would make any Flying Nun/low fi pop fan drool). Elsey’s vision for a band that sounds like The Clean didn’t really come to fruition. The Stones were too bright to not to create their own sound, one wrapped in braggadocio and swagger. Fast, aggressive guitars, driving rhythm section with a knack for fluid pop structures. Charismatic and smart, The Stones had the ability to sound completely empathetic and threatening all at once." - Shayne P. Carter.
The Stones - Three Blind Mice will be available on LP, CD + Digital from March 6.
Pre-orders are available here.
- Gunner Ho
- See Red
- At the Café
- Something New
- Final Days
- Down and Around
- Funky Conversations
- Surf’s Up
- Fad World
- It’s a Shame (Live at the Rumba - May 1983)*
- We Live (Live at the Rhumba - Dec 15, 1982)*
- Rumba (Live at Victoria University, Dec 6, 1982)*
- Everywhere Man (Live at the Rumba - May 1983)*
- Diamond Dirt (Live at the Rumba - May 1983)*
- Think About It (Live at Victoria University, Dec 6, 1982)*
- Looking at You (Live at Albert Tavern, Jun 28, 1983)*
- Ward 9 (Live at the Rumba - May 1983)*
- Route 69 (Live at Albert Tavern, Jun 28, 1983)*
* CD/Digital only